Hello guys! So here’s a quick Athens travel tip (things that I’ve actually seen, so sorry if there are things that I wasn’t able to include, only because I didn’t see or tried personally) which also includes my own personal itinerary.
- FROM THE AIRPORT to CITY CENTRE:
If you’re going to be arriving in the Athens International Airport and headed to the city centre, the cheapest way to do it is through the metro (underground train). If there’s two of you, you can get the tickets for 14 euros (one way) to the city centre. If you buy it separately it’s 1 euro more per ticket.
The metro journey from the airport to the city centre takes about 45 mins, and the train lines are quite straightforward compared to all the underground trains I’ve been to (London, Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong).
- CITY CENTRE TO THE FERRY PORTS
You can take the nearest Metro Station from your place (given that you are in the city centre) to Piraeus Port which takes just over half an hour. It is 1.20euro/person.
You can also take a ferry from Rafina Port where trips to the Cyclades Islands could be shorter but there is no metro line to this place, so you will have to take a take a taxi which will cost about 20euros.
- AROUND ATHENS
The best way to travel around is by metro (1.10euro around the city centre) or taxi (4-6euros around the city centre). Metered taxis start the price at 1.29euros and after a certain time at night it’s an extra 1 euro.
- Plaka (Town)
- Adrianou – This is a small street and it’s easy to get in lost in the maze, so try to find this street and you’ll find some nice restaurants.
- Around Monastiraki and Plaka
- The Acropolis and Ancient Agora (If you buy tickets for the Acropolis it already includes pass to the Ancient Agora) – 12 euros/person
- The Acropolis Museum – 5 euros/person
- National Archaeological Museum 7 euros/person
- Odeon of Herodes Atticus (book tickets in advance) – price depending on show
- Temple of Olympian Zeus and Hadrian’s Arch – free
- Arrival in Athens
- Check in hotel
- Archaeological Museum
- Dinner at Plaka
- Walk around the Acropolis to see it illuminate at night.
- Early start at the Acropolis – Ancient Agora
- Walk around Adrianou/Monastiraki
- Lunch in Adrianou
- Acropolis Museum
- Drinks around Thissio